Flailing Away with Frustrated

My mind meanders mindlessly mercifully.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Frustrated, foolish FW flails fitfully, failing to find fruition from facetious fritterings.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Thirteen Thoughts About Valentines

With the holiday of lovers coming up, I thought I would share 13 thoughts about Valentines for the younger guys out there...

1. Chocolate is always a good choice. In fact chocolate covers a multitude of sins.

2. Look at the back of the card. Pay the extra bucks. They do look...

3. Roses are nice, but the florist use this event to financially rape you. I think roses away from Valentines, unexpected roses, are much more meaningful.

4. I opt for originality on Valentines Day. Creative thinking wins the day. Do something out of the ordinary.

5. Poetry is always good provided you can write it well. As for me, sigh, mine suffers a bit so lines such as "Your eyes are like glazed donuts in a bakery store window..." probably doesn't do my thoughts justice so if you are like me, go with the pros...

6. I find waiting in line for hours to get a table not so romantic. Make a reservation.

7. Jewelry is supposed to be the perfect gift but my past experiences haven't been so bueno, so perhaps we should avoid such gifts and stick with something meaningful.

8. I am pretty sure we should avoid lines such as "Hey, let's pick up some cheap wine and get wasted" since most women wouldn't consider that romantic.

9. Serenading your sweetheart is a nice touch provided a) you can sing and b) small amphibians won't come out in droves thinking mating season has started when they hear your heartfelt ballad.

10. Avoid making comments about sports on this one day. Yeah, I know, that seems a bit cruel but it is about showing attention to them, after all.

11. Try to look interested when they are telling you something. It even helps if you can pick up a phrase of two to repeat back at an opportune moment.

12. Don't take them to a sports bar for Valentines. Believe me, the temptations are too great and you run the risk of having a really good game on the screen when you should be paying attention to your date.

13. The best advice I can give you younger guys about Valentines Day is to make a list of all the reasons you want this person to be your Valentine. Look at the list often. Memorize it. There will be a test later and they don't grade on a curve.

Okay, there is my Thursday 13 for what it is worth. I probably should do a list for the ladies on what guys want for Valentines but it is a rather short list and I doubt I could find 13 ways to expound on the mentality of men so I will pass on that one. Happy TT everyone!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol! I love the unexpected roses.

personally, I don't see anything wrong with buying cheap wine and getting wasted with your sweetie (I obviously don't get out much).

I'm up too.

have a great Thursday!!

6:02 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Just some thoughts from a girl...

i never looked on the back of a card to see price...?

poetry is even better if you can't write..it warms our hearts..

a whataburger at a roadside park is so much more romantic than standing in a freaking line...

serenading when you can't sing goes right along with poetry when you can't write..its precious to us..

maybe I'm weird but discussing why Dominic Rhodes didn't get MVP would be a stimulating converstation over a candle light dinner, at a roadside park, eating a whataburger...

6:02 AM  
Blogger -c said...

I'm with Beverly on this one. Poetry and song of any quality are awesome!

Bring out the mating amphibians and glazed donut metaphors, and we're melted chapstick in your hand:)

12:44 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

I love your list! and if you want to make the Valentine's gift last longer, get a little glass jar and fill it will pieces of paper on which are written 'special favors' you will do for your honey over the next week or so (she gets to pick one per day - so make sure they are things you can actually come through with).

Have missed you Mark!
Great to read you again ...

7:45 AM  
Blogger Frustrated Writer said...

amy - I bet unexpected cheap wine would be fun too.

lol, -c, well melted chapstick in my hands is not really a desirable thing as it is quite messy and tends to get into the carpet. Obviously you haven't been paying attention to my poetry that I've been posting!

beverly - poets who can't sing are called... Bob Dylan, right?

Great idea Carol and perhaps my slips of special favors might actually include chores...ha!

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home