Flailing Away with Frustrated

My mind meanders mindlessly mercifully.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Frustrated, foolish FW flails fitfully, failing to find fruition from facetious fritterings.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Blessing...

So there we were in the kitchen, my daughter's boyfriend and me, working on making ratones when he asked,

"Can I ask you something personal?" Hmm, now that can be a loaded question because when someone requests to ask you something personal you immediately think they are about to ask you something... well, personal.

"Sure. Fire away."

"I would like to propose to Slvr but would like to have your blessing first."

"Sure, you have my blessing."

"Do you have any reservations?"

Hmm, now another loaded question has been laid down because what father doesn't have reservations about any lad who comes to ask for his daughter's hand in marriage? Add to that list of reservations a healthy dose of cynicism and you have a roadmap to a disastrous conversation in which no one is going to come back in one piece.

"One day when you have a daughter you will understand that there will always be reservations when it comes to your child. Fortunately I trust Slvr and her decisions so we don't need to go into my reservations."

Afterwards we had a good discussion about dating, marriage, etc. I was shown the ring the next day before they left for school. He hasn't officially proposed yet but he does have my blessing, something he didn't have to ask for but I appreciate his asking anyway.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Rhodent said...

Neat

8:35 PM  
Blogger Alisa said...

awww congrats to Slvr! What a nice young man.

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh* how wonderful!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

awwwww thats lovely, Congratulations :o)

4:32 AM  
Blogger brooksba said...

It's not often that you still hear of young men practicing this courtesy. I think that is wonderful.

As far as the, "Can I ask you a personal question?" goes, it always amazes me what people think will be personal questions. Do you believe any opinion question is personal?

How great for Slvr!

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home