Flailing Away with Frustrated

My mind meanders mindlessly mercifully.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Frustrated, foolish FW flails fitfully, failing to find fruition from facetious fritterings.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Step #9

We discussed step #9 last night at Al-Anon, the fun little step where you make amends to those who you have harmed in word, thought, or deed. Amends taking the meaning of "a change" has now taken place in your behavior. This is not one of more favorite of the twelve steps since some are much easier to handle and do not require actual contact with other folks. However, I am thinking it is the most satisfying of the steps as it brings closure to past hurts and allows you to suture your wounds and begin the healing process.

Interestingly, I had a chance to work #9 yesterday with a person who had taken great delight in my past failures. It came in the form of a request from another person who knew this person was struggling with a painful situation. Against my better judgment I went and sat with them, talking out many of the painful conflicts that had occurred between us. It was two hours well spent and worth the time for me to make my amends with them, changing from having bitter thoughts to understanding the hard times they have been through. I would like to think yesterday provided release from bitterness on my part and began the rebuilding of a friendship I had missed.

Step #9 ain't easy, but the work is worth it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bitterness is a tough emotion to overcome. I'm glad you two were able to sit down and talk.

may the friendship grow stronger over time.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Alisa said...

I'm glad that you were able to build the bridge with the person you sat down with.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Communication; its a grand tool ;o)

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home