Flailing Away with Frustrated

My mind meanders mindlessly mercifully.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Frustrated, foolish FW flails fitfully, failing to find fruition from facetious fritterings.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A simple thank you

To say the last week has been a long hard week would be an understatement but the feeling of satisfaction one gets when the event is over and the people are happy is such a tremendous rush that you begin to convince yourself it was well worth the time and effort. Okay, I actually know it was worth the time and effort from all the smiling faces, happy kids, and pleased parents but yesterday evening as the bands are playing, it really hit home when a young boy (who happens to go to one of the clubs) walks up to me and smiles really big and says,

"Thank you."

I'm pretty sure he was sent over by his parents but he had such a sweet happy smile it doesn't really matter why he came, but that he did come and said those magic words. I knealt down in front of him, smiled, and asked him if he had been having fun. He nodded enthusiastically and then grinned ear to ear when I asked him if he had competed in the watermelon eating contest.

"It was good!" I would have guess that from all of the juice splattered on his shirt. I asked him if he wanted to come back next year and another vigorous headshake in the affirmative and off he ran back towards his parents.

Funny, it meant much more to hear a "thank you" from a child than from all of my peers. I know the hard work they all put into the event and how teamwork had made this happened, but still it was the smile and laughter of children which brought the deepest satisfaction at the end of the day and gives you the confidence to say,

"This was good."

7 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

man...that is sweet...makes it all worth it..you made some memories for those kids yesterday!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Makes it all worthwhile :o)
Glad you had a super day!

7:54 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

Children always speak the truth. How wonderful to have that moment with him and see the smile that went with the thanks.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Demosthenes said...

Now you see why youth ministry is sooo much more fulfilling to me than preaching. :)

8:40 AM  
Blogger -c said...

A very touching tale indeed.

I think it would make a better blockbuster hit, though, if the parents sent over a watermelon, the child popped out of it, and showed you the 'thank you' he had tattoed on his forehead with watermelon seeds.

Just an idea...

10:29 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Glad it went so well. Kudos to you..

3:50 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

Yup, when it comes from the kids, it means a lot! I am so glad that the day was successful and that you are planning on doing it again next year. I can picture you grinning from ear to ear just thinking about the thankyou from that young boy!

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home