Flailing Away with Frustrated

My mind meanders mindlessly mercifully.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Frustrated, foolish FW flails fitfully, failing to find fruition from facetious fritterings.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Sitting with a fellow fan

Last night I was sitting in the stands watching Michael play his second game in a series of five when one of the little girls from one of our clubs sat down next to me, eating a snow cone. We smiled at each other and I asked her how her day at the club went and she said it was a good day complete with field trips (which she didn't go on) and fun activities she enjoyed with her friends.

"So do you have a brother playing in this game?"

"No, I just like to watch."

"So you are a fan of baseball."

"No, I just like to watch people."

That struck me as an unusual statement from a nine year old but it makes me think she will be a great writer/artist/musician or just an excellent judge of character if she has already understood the importance of observing people and human nature.

We sat there together until the end of the game making small talk, commenting on the game and the people around us who were reacting to the play on the field. I realized as the game ended that I had sat with a fellow fan... a fan of people watching and it felt good to know this activity transcends all the issues that divide our population; age, race, sex, religoius belief, etc.

BTW, Michael hit a great shot in the last inning to bring two runners home and win the game. It is so fun watching him and his proud parents celebrate such a victory. Life is good.

6 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

some of my best times sitting in the baseball stands watching my boy's cute little butt up at bat..

8:22 AM  
Blogger Alisa said...

You have have to love it when you meet a child who enjoys people watching. She'll be successful in what ever her endeavors in life will be.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Frustrated Writer said...

alisa, why can't i get to your blog from your link? I know you moved to another blog/server? but does that keep me from going from here to read your blog? inquiring minds want to know...

9:32 AM  
Blogger GreatBeefalo said...

Thats awesome she so observant at such a young age. Im glad there are still some of us around with the young'uns. Younguns'? You get my point. Man, Im gettin' old!

10:09 AM  
Blogger brooksba said...

How wonderful! The little girl sounds like great company and I'm glad to hear such a perfect ending to the game.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

That precious little girl will be President one day :o)

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home