Flailing Away with Frustrated

My mind meanders mindlessly mercifully.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Frustrated, foolish FW flails fitfully, failing to find fruition from facetious fritterings.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Hats off to the Hon' Meister

There is a checker at the local HEB who always makes me smile. She is a rather large AA who greets each customer with a constant barrage of chatter that just brings warmth to your soul.

"Good mornin' hon. Let's see what you've got here. Oh, those are nice cherries, aren't they? Juicy lookin' from here and hon, you've got $5.10 worth of them. Now don't eat them all in one sittin' cause they will mess you up!"

"My, my, this is a blessed day, isn't hon. Let's see, we've got milk, some dryer sheets, mmm, mmm, those are some fine smellin' rascals. That'll be $4.69. You givin' me a ten and I'm givin you change of $5.31."

"Mornin' hon. Watch your coffee, we don't want that all over these nice avocados, now do we? You want to write your check for $20 over? Oh honey, that's fine, everybody needs a little walkin' aroun' money. Here's your change and you have a blessed day."

I never tire of listening to her chatter and think it makes the whole grocery shopping experience fun. I'm sure she doesn't announce every item because there isn't a mean bone in her body (or at least I don't think there is) but I would think she is the type who would scan a box of profalctics and look over her glasses at you and give you a simple "uh huh..." and maybe even wonder aloud, "Does your momma know you're buying these?" Somehow I think those kids probably don't get the perfunctionary "Have a blessed day" as that would only be encouraging them, wouldn't it?

So I tip my hat to this checker. She makes those early morning shopping trips a delight and kicks my day off with a smile. I hope she has a blessed day...

5 Comments:

Blogger -c said...

ha ha! I thoroughly love presences like this woman's in my life! It reminds me of the spice, humor and honesty of being human.

But, it certainly can make you a little nervous to step up with a box of extra-sensitive, flavored condoms, a cucumber and a NewsWeek, that's for sure...

1:03 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

She sounds so nice. Aren't you tempted to bring up stuff like condoms and feminine hygiene products and such just to mess with her..

2:49 PM  
Blogger GreatBeefalo said...

I love that. Im usually not one to initiate conversation easily, so its ten times more fun when they kick it off with a friendly...well, anything.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

She sounds delightful! Our cashiers are usually too busy flirting with the bag boys or the next cashier!

11:27 AM  
Blogger brooksba said...

She does sound like a fun person and what a great attitude to have on the job!

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home