Flailing Away with Frustrated

My mind meanders mindlessly mercifully.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Frustrated, foolish FW flails fitfully, failing to find fruition from facetious fritterings.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

A Quenching Celebration

Finally the rain comes and soaks our brown earth, bringing a respite from the heat, the cooling winds of ozone enriched air to invigorate and wake a sleepy city from it's heat induced stupor.

People are almost giddy at the grocery store, baggers carrying on cheerful conversation where once pitiful mutterings had held court. The young girl who is carrying out my groceries is chattering away about how funny it is that so many people come to shop when it is raining. She wonders out loud if it isn't because they couldn't be working outside and come to the store out of boredom.

"I think it is because they have no other place to celebrate, no dancing ground on which to let their euphoria be expressed so they come here to chat, to laugh, to feed off the giddiness of others. It is a communal expression of joy." The young girl hands me my groceries and smiles her perky smile while shrugging to her, "Yeah, that too." So much for philosophical ponderings during a rain storm.

As I open my car door I hear the singing of college students who are sitting underneath a covered outdoor patio; a young man plays a sloppy guitar while giggling female comrades sing along with a tune that is almost recognizable. I watch as one of the girls sticks her head out into the rain, laughing and shrieking at the cold drops that are soaking her head. With a whip of her head she showers her friends who protest under giggles and guffaws and then join her in the ritual of relishing refreshing rain.

Maybe it is boredom that brings the people out... but I still think it is a communal celebration of regeneration, as I pause to look up at falling raindrops, joyfully soaking them into my skin and my psyche.

3 Comments:

Blogger starbender said...

I luv listning 2 the rain!
:]

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's not boredom. it's the worm mucking. the rain brings out the choiciest worms. or gutter splashing. yeah, that was my favorite thing to do as a kid. my uncles would block the street gutters to flood them out, and then we'd go splashing around in our bare feet. good times!

glad you got rain. we could really use it here.

9:10 AM  
Blogger GreatBeefalo said...

it rained here too! Such a blessing!

I was going to post something like this, but your eloquence whips me so Ill skip it. good post!

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home