Flailing Away with Frustrated

My mind meanders mindlessly mercifully.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Frustrated, foolish FW flails fitfully, failing to find fruition from facetious fritterings.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Going Postal

Standing in line to mail a package to Slvr, I was happy to be entertained by a young girl of about seven, who had so much energy she couldn't stand still. Her mother allowed her some space for movement but was being considerate to other patrons by making sure the little girl didn't make a nuisance of herself.

The child practiced cheerleading routines, dance moves, and even engaged in a lively conversation with herself about what she could do with all those boxes attached to the wall. When she wandered too far away a quick snap of mom's fingers and a silent hiss would bring her back with an explanation of why she had needed to move so far away. I couldn't see mom's face but you could hear the irritation in her voice of having to constantly call the child back.

Songs followed with her swinging on the rail, then a quick swirl, a short dance, finishing with a flourish of arms stretched at an angle, back arched, and a bright smile perfectly centered to let the audience know she was a "super stah." I thoroughly enjoyed the show and was disappointed to see a sudden wilting of the little girl as she shuffled quickly towards her mother's skirt. Looking behind me I caught the scowl of an elderly woman that would make Santa curl up in a fetal position and whimper. Her disapproval of young children having fun while being forced to stand 20 minutes in line at a post office was evident and I had to wonder who had made a mess in her Post Toasties that morning.

Enter the paradox. Do you speak to the old bat and tell her "she is only a child and is doing no harm" or do you speak to the child and reassure her that old bats with disapproving scowls can't harm her with such poisoned looks? Not knowing which way to go I smiled at the child and then gave the old bat what my son so lovingly calls my "serial killer" look. The old bat wilted back into the line, turning her attention to details she had obviously missed on the package in her hand. The young girl continued her performance of song and dance until her mother's time at the window was finished and they left.

I do admit I feel badly about my behavior. I should have applauded the little girl's performance...

6 Comments:

Blogger Demosthenes said...

you can't see or hear me, but I am applauding in my office right now. Well ok I'm typing, but after that...

10:55 AM  
Blogger Hopalong Cassidy said...

You shoud have applauded. Perhaps you should have even told her "I'll send you all my love everyday in a letter
sealed with a kiss".

Sealed With A Kiss

12:30 PM  
Blogger Alisa said...

I think you handled it right. :)

If you tell the old lady off, she is not going to care. She's at that age where nothing is going to change her.

Telling the little girl not to mind the old bats isn't a bad idea though. She's still young enough to care.

2:49 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

What a lovely, creative little girl. The old "bat" is missing out on enjoying life's little joys.

I don't know what I would have done, but would have wanted to say in a really loud voice, "You are such a wonderful dancer. Thanks for brightening my day and how nice for all of us here to be lucky enough to enjoy you." In that tone that makes sour pusses cringe because they know others are seeing their negative behaviors.

I'm glad you shot the old biddy a nasty look. Hopefully it will pull her out of her self-detrimental behaviors.

12:12 AM  
Blogger brooksba said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

Hey, I tried to leave a comment and blogger deleted it!

Anyway, I wanted to say that the term 'old biddy' made me chuckle. LOL

Your narrative here is wonderful and the little 'super stah' quite a card, eh?

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home