Flailing Away with Frustrated

My mind meanders mindlessly mercifully.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Frustrated, foolish FW flails fitfully, failing to find fruition from facetious fritterings.

Monday, August 14, 2006

speaking points

Giving speeches is part of the job and I don't mind talking in front of large/small crowds about the mission, successes, and needs of the kids I serve. You get to a point that the speaking points become natural and you have a pat speech in your head that is easily adapted to the audience you are speaking to as you head towards making the ask for their a) financial support b) community support and c) belief in your organization's ability to fulfill its mission.

I have to admit there are times I would love to stand up and give a speech totally off the subject with speaking points that left the audience thinking, "What the ....?"

Realizing this would take me dangerously close to be irreverent I will refrain from some of those fantasy speeches as such posting could come back and bite me in the buttocks. But man, the temptations in the middle of the night, staring at a ceiling and dreaming of giving one of those speeches is almost overwhelming. Control yourself, FW, control yourself. Sigh.

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I haven't spoken in front of a large crowd in years. Last week i was asked to be a guest speaker in a few weeks time for Child Protection Week. I said yes but heavens i am soooooo scared as there will be cops and judges and a bunch of other agencies that work within the CJS....YIKES!!

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

speeches...AHHHH!
I am not a very extroverted person, so giving speeches is a tough job. I had to give speeches in a class in college, and came close to yakking several times before I went up. I admire anyone who can get up there and speak without rambling or turning beet red.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

Public speaking is a great gift! It is a good thing when it is used for the right reasons. I am glad that you have resisted the temptation to date! Get out one of your journals and write the words there with a disclaimer justin case someone finds it some day. You never know, you could become another Mark Twin!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

ah, sorry... that was Mark Twain!

10:30 AM  
Blogger brooksba said...

There is a pull to confuse people and make them wonder by asking those odd questions or sharing those strange stories. That's the joy of blogging - you get to share with those who appreciate randomness!

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home