Flailing Away with Frustrated

My mind meanders mindlessly mercifully.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Frustrated, foolish FW flails fitfully, failing to find fruition from facetious fritterings.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Strong Women

In recent discussions with a friend I made a rather rash statement that women divorced themselves from chivalry with ERA in the 70's. Not that it was a bad thing, I just think they threw out some basic manners when all of a sudden men were not to open a door for a lady or assist her in any way.

I could be wrong but the decade that followed of growls, snarls, and snippy comments produced a generation of fearful men who failed to pass on good etiquette to their sons. Maybe the new system is better but I fail to see how being a gentleman threatens the strength of a woman.

Realizing it is wrong to make a broad sweeping statement about any gender, I still want to put out a little something in poetic form...

So a ditty my friends, a ditty indeed.

I went to open her door
She met me with a growl
I stopped, a bit unsure
Until she gave me a nasty scowl.
"It's just a door," says I
But she is having none of it.
"No, it's man's way of getting by
With repressing women's wits!"
"We don't need your faux fancies
Of helping out ladies in distress
We are more than some Jim Dandies
Who can live beyond the dress."
I agreed but tried in vain
To explain my intentions
To save her from the pain
Of a swinging door dimension.
But alas, the woman strong
Succeeded to put me in my place
Despite the painful wrong
Of watching the door hit her in the face.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Alisa said...

and those of us born after the ERA wonder why men our age are such jerks. :(

I LIKE having doors held open for me dammit. Men opening a door for me does not reflect on my intelligence or abilities, because I know in my own head, that I could open the door for myself if I so wanted.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Yes, Alisa, I agree. I am happy to open a door for another, may it be man, woman, or child, and appreciate it being held open for me.

I don't get women who have issues with this kind of thing.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

random acts of kindness...genderless.... Gloria Steinem needs to chill..

2:54 PM  
Blogger Ron Southern said...

Clear thinking, nice sentiments here in the comments. But would they all feel the same if the man opening the door for them thought they had to be protected?

I open the door when I think I could do a better job or save someone the trouble. When sick, as I've been this past year, I let anyone open the door for me. It ain't sex or sexist; it just means someone likes you.

But I would never argue with Gloria Steinem. Like so many people who talk on TV, she's a professional talker. But I like her very much. Of course, I also like Matt Dillon and Sponge Bob.

6:24 PM  
Blogger GA said...

I don't know whose door you were opening, but women who use feminism to justify their own rudeness are making it hard for the rest of us to get people to consider how gender stereotypes thwart individual freedom. Next time, you can shut her up by redirecting her to a real issue: ask her what she thinks about the New York Times' coverage of the French female presidential candidate, how their headline focused on how hot she is rather than her political platforms. That's something to grouse about.

7:18 AM  
Blogger GA said...

OK, and I can't resist a great Steinem quote: "We are talking about a society in which there will be no roles other than those chosen or those earned; we are really talking about humanism."

(I wake up every morning reciting this statement as I make bowing motions in front of my Steinem alter, but I believe I just got it off wikipedia)

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home