Flailing Away with Frustrated

My mind meanders mindlessly mercifully.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Frustrated, foolish FW flails fitfully, failing to find fruition from facetious fritterings.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Arkansas in the early morning, orange marmalade by night

I'm back! Made it to Arkansas by 6:30 a.m., found my daughter's car, changed brakes, rotors, and put gas in her car before 8:00 a.m., just in time to have it start raining on me. Realized she need to have a caliper/piston replaced so that means another road trip in August. No problem...

I didn't spend much time with the locals this trip as I finished up, cleaned up, and drove over to Shreveport for Cajun food and to have a jumping off place for my New London expedition the next day. My one interaction with folks actually occurred in Ft. Worth at the Ol' South Pancake House where I sat next to two "ahem" men who were obviously on their first date "ahem". Their conversation went something like this:

"Are you going to eat all of your fries before you eat your sandwich?"

"Yes, I eat my fries first, then my sandwich. It is how I always eat my meals when they have fries with them."

"That is ridiculous! Who eats their fries first and then eats their sandwich?"

"I do. Do you always criticize the way other people eat their food?"

"No, just the ridiculous ones. Why would you order a sandwich in a pancake house? You get pancakes here, not a sandwich with fries. Maybe you get eggs and bacon, perhaps sausage, but not sandwich and fries. Oh, are you going to eat the pickle after the fries? It is next in line on your plate."

"No, I don't like pickles. Do you want it?"

"What? A pickle with my eggs, bacon, and pancakes? Ridiculous! So are you going to eat your pickle next?"

"No, I don't like pickles. You can have it and eat it later if you like, when there isn't anyone ridiculous around eating sandwich and fries in a pancake house."

"No, I just thought it would be strange if you did like pickles, that you wouldn't eat it next."

About this time I am struggling to suppress an all out guffaw as the sandwich man is obviously driving the Breakfast Nazi nuts when the Breakfast Nazis turns and watches me spread orange marmalade on my biscuit.

"Are you British?"

"Excuse me?"

"Are you British? You're putting orange marmalade on your biscuit."

"No, not British. It is a Paddington the Bear thing."

Hmm, I sound British about as much as our President does and besides, when is orange marmalade consumption limited only to the British? Ridiculous...

5 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

Hilarious! (pancake conversation)

Sorry about the caliper/piston problem..hate it when that happens but..glad you got your brake job..

7:07 AM  
Blogger GreatBeefalo said...

All that done in an hour and a half? Thats pretty impressive. Maybe I just lack enthusiasm when it comes to automotive fixing. I still having replaced my spark plugs I bought two months ago...If I could only get a Saturday off...

11:28 AM  
Blogger Ron Southern said...

Buga buga! I haven't had an "Overheard" segment in a long time, but yours wouls have made a great one! I'm struggling with myself not to steal it!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

Orange marmalade is good on a lot of things! I always thought it was more of a southern thing! LOL My grandmother was born in England and never ate any kind of marmalade!

But then maybe you look a bit like Paddington Bear! :o)

3:47 PM  
Blogger Alisa said...

Who doesn't love Paddington Bear and his Orange Marmalade? I had to BEG my mom to buy it at the store when I was a kid just so I could see what it tasted like.

Your "overheards" are THE best! I hope sandwich guy dumped breakfast nazi and found himself a meat and potatos kinda of "buddy".

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home