Flailing Away with Frustrated

My mind meanders mindlessly mercifully.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Frustrated, foolish FW flails fitfully, failing to find fruition from facetious fritterings.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Flag Day

Yuppers, today is Flag Day and around town you will see the Stars and Stripes proudly displayed as local citizens get into the patriotic spirit. I love flags so this is one of my favorite days, just wished more people would fly a diversity of flags such as the Don't Tread on Me flag, or the Betsy Ross flag, or my personal favorite, the Bonnie Blue flag. Hey, if I had a yard to fly one from, I'd be there!

Flags are great reminders of the history of conflict and war. They tickle our memories of soldiers long gone who died fighting for our freedom. Their presence nudges us in the direction of realizing everything comes at a great cost whether it be freedom of speech, taxation with representation, freedom of religion, or the right to own and bear arms. Unfortunately they are taken for granted, abused even, and left to rot in the elements.

I get ticked off whenever I see a frayed flag flapping in the wind. Torn and shredded by the elements, sometimes even soiled from dust storms, these flags appear to be calling out to passers by for a dignified removal/disposal, a task any American Legion will perform. Even more irritating is the flying of the Texas flag upside down. White on top people, white on top! As a lady once put it, your bandage (white) goes on top of the wound (red).

So today fly those flags proudly. Treat them with respect, keep them clean, and please, keep them out of the weather. I know it is just a piece of cloth, but it is a piece of cloth representing legions of sacrifices offered at the altar of freedom, stained with American blood.

7 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

Man, I need to get me a flag. I have a yard and now I am ashamed. My favorite pair of blue jeans had an american flag sewn on it..early 70's..I was really, yeah, cool....

Now, for a tidbit to show you how incredibly informed I am..;)

In 1909 Robert Peary placed a flag, sewn by his wife, at the North Pole. He also left pieces of another flag along the way. It is the only time a person has been honored for cutting the flag.

and that wasn't off the top of my head..I read about it...

7:39 AM  
Blogger Demosthenes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Demosthenes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Demosthenes said...

Burn baby burn. Just kidding. People get shot for less than that in Texas.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

yeah..reach for the sky, Demo!

8:10 AM  
Blogger -c said...

Guess you wouldn't like my umbrella/ bird-dropping shield then...

only joking...

9:07 AM  
Blogger GreatBeefalo said...

The Dont Tread On Me flag is my personal favorite.

Since I spent aa eternity suffering the back wastes of New Mexico I usually cant remember which way the Texas flag goes. Im remembering, though. New Mexicans dont care either way. Sigh...no state pride!

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home