Flailing Away with Frustrated

My mind meanders mindlessly mercifully.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Frustrated, foolish FW flails fitfully, failing to find fruition from facetious fritterings.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Obituary

Today I will be attending the funeral of past co-worker who I used to car pool with. Our conversations we had coming and going to work were interesting, sometimes combative, but always in good fun.

Reading his obituary yesterday I saw the same ol' information about birth, work, hobbies, civic duties, family, church, death and thought maybe folks should consider a change in the format. Maybe we should be reading about his favorite dog, beer, cigar, joke, movie, but more importantly, maybe we should have a section of comments overheard at the viewing from those who had worked and lived with the deceased.

"Ol' Joe sure was a pain in the butt to work with. Never showed up on time, never did his work right the first time, but boy could that guy pass gas in a 30 mph wind storm and it would still travel up wind. He had "the gift" you know..."

"Patsy was a terror to live with and a demon to work with too. If she hadn't gone when she did I think I would have killed her, bless her little heart."

"So how do they know Grandpa is dead? Looks like he's doing what he always was doing... just laying there."

"Memo this, memo that. That's all that woman could do was send a memo! Well take a memo, Lucy, you are dead and the memo pads have been thrown out!"

"Well at least he is finally taking a break from working..."

I think those would be much more revealing and more entertaining to read than where they attended church or what civic activities they were involved in. Maybe that's just my sense of morbidity. So what would some of the comments be in your obit?

5 Comments:

Blogger Demosthenes said...

Careful, they might be saying that last one about you....:) Nothin but love brother.

As for me, I think I'd like to have some Star Trek references in my obit. Maybe with some bits of trivia posted that only I would know. :) Oh gosh I need a date. Oh wait, I actually have one next week. Maybe I better keep this Star Trek stuff to myself... On the other hand, if she REALLY likes me...

6:32 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

"Where is she? She really is late for her own funeral!!!"

Okay, Demo..first of all, how exciting that you have a date..second, don't assume that she won't be freaked out by Star Trek trivia..

6:59 AM  
Blogger Alisa said...

Hmmmm my obit:

I will have to ponder that some more.

But you are right, they need to be more snazzy.

This is morbid but everyone in our family reads the obits because when we call my grandfather the topic usually goes along the lines of "Did you see that so and so passed away..." and you better be able to answer with something like, "oh yes, I did. Cancer was it? I see his wife is still here with us."


He crashes funerals. No joke.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Frustrated Writer said...

dem - star trek references in your obit will get folks out to your funeral, just to see who all shows up. Congrats on the date!
bev- being late for your own funeral wouldn't be a bad thing
sim am - hmm, my problem is "would they print it?"
twyla - but was it good going down?
alisa - i think your granddad and i would get along famously. good to see ya back!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I kid you not, I heard this at my in-laws' step-grandmother's funeral...

it went a little sumpthin like this...

"Myrtle was a difficult woman, but we loved her anyway."

Booya!!!

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home