Flailing Away with Frustrated

My mind meanders mindlessly mercifully.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Frustrated, foolish FW flails fitfully, failing to find fruition from facetious fritterings.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Tofu Blues

I'm the type of guy who doesn't mind sampling different foods from different cultures with perhaps the exception of roasted insects or Malaysian Rat on a Stick. Other than that I will be game to at least take a bite or two of almost anything, once. So last night I had my first taste of tofu as my daughter and son-in-law treated me to a nice stir fry they had concocted in a kitchen in the backwoods of Buffalo Gap. The pristine bed of rice held a Thai dish complete with a spot of tofu, which looked amazingly a lot like some sort of meat. I poked at the square pieces of unidentifiable "meat" and asked, "What kind of meat is this and when did you stop being a vegetarian?"

"Tofu"

"Gesundheit. So what type of meat is this?"

"Tofu."

"Hey, watch your language. Just asking a simple question. You still have all your dogs running around your place, right?" I had to ask because the little squares of meat weren't like anything I had ever seen.

"No dad, it's tofu. There is no meat in this dish."

"Tofu huh? Hmm, well I'll try anything once." I sampled the tofu and it wasn't bad at all. I do believe it does something to the system though because I was trounced by the two guests in Scrabble so it had to be the tofu.

Yup, I'll eat it again if it is served and have now broadened my horizons that one day I might actually sample a toasted insect if that is all there was to eat. Still think I will pass on the Rat on a Stick.

6 Comments:

Blogger Demosthenes said...

Did you ever see the Raymond episode where Marie decides that they need to eat healthy for Thanksgiving so she makes a tofu turkey instead of a real one? I have never had tofu, but it sounds kinda nasty.

8:44 AM  
Blogger -c said...

I've had fried grasshoppers (with lemon and salt) in Mexico and guinnea pig on a stick in Ecuador..., and I have to say they are both tastier than tofu in my palet. But... I didn't get a chance to see what their effects on Scrabble playing acumen was... so who knows?!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

Hmmm... does that mean you would try Ahi tuna or Sushi? I think not!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Ron Southern said...

Hey, no insults! Can't put a rat down until you've tried one!

It might be more palatable than fish heads, which is another popular dish in Malaysia.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Frustrated Writer said...

Ron, I think you can have my helping of rat... and fishheads.

dem- yuppers, saw it and loved it!

-c - yikes! Oh I know it screws up one's ability to play scrabble. Oh I'll pass on the fried grasshoppers too.

bev - tofu wasn't that bad

rho - depends on how much saki was consumed before the offering...

6:15 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I think tofu has its place, but i stil like a decent steak!

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home