Flailing Away with Frustrated

My mind meanders mindlessly mercifully.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Frustrated, foolish FW flails fitfully, failing to find fruition from facetious fritterings.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Signs The Hotel You Are Staying At Is In Trouble

I am a board member for a small local non-profit and this past weekend was our regional conference and meeting. We were booked to stay in a hotel that once was a Holiday Inn but had been sold to someone else who is obviously trying to refurbish and renovate the six story hotel in a low budget way. Here are some of the signs that things may not be going well for them.

  1. When the only guests booked are from your small conference.
  2. When the parking lot is totally empty except for a few state vehicles.
  3. When you walk into the lobby and smell a strong sewer smell and the clerk cheerfully tells you, "Oh, it's only gas. Don't worry about it."
  4. The halls and lobby aren't air-conditioned.
  5. Your room has a spiritual feel to it because the furniture is "holey"
  6. Your room has an HBO guide in it and the television guide says you can watch HBO on channel 67. Your TV only has 62 channels...
  7. The clerk is still wearing her scrubs from her shift at the local hospital.
  8. The waitress at the breakfast bar tells you they brew coffee only when it is needed so it may be a few minutes before she can get you a cup of coffee.
  9. The Sports Bar is closed to licensing issues a few technocalities they have with the State.
  10. Your maid service has only one cart for the whole hotel.
  11. The soaps and shampoos don't match.
  12. Your towels, which are supposed to be white, are all different shades of white.
  13. The water in your shower starts off being the color of rust.
  14. Pet hair is on the bedspread.
  15. The air-conditioners in the rooms are on timers.
  16. The complimentary newspaper has been stamped to say they have charged you .13 cents for the newspaper but if you don't read it, you can return it to the front desk for a .13 cents refund.
  17. Your lobby furniture has been decorated with plastic flowers... not the nicer silk kind, but the dollar store kind.
  18. The night time clerk wears kevlar.
  19. There is a sign in the hall that says, "Please respect the privacy of other guests and take your gunfights outside."
  20. The cockroach sitting on the toilet, reading your .13 newspaper while smoking a cigar, says, "How ya doing. If you want some coffee make it yourself. I made it last night. Now shut the door, I like my privacy."

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! yea, I would say that list constitutes a problem for the owners!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Hopalong Cassidy said...

"The complimentary newspaper has been stamped to say they have charged you .13 cents for the newspaper but if you don't read it, you can return it to the front desk for a .13 cents refund...The cockroach sitting on the toilet, reading your .13 newspaper while smoking a cigar, says, "How ya doing. If you want some coffee make it yourself. I made it last night. Now shut the door, I like my privacy"


re
Before you shut the door you grab your paper from the giant cockroach then you tell him that second hand smoke bothers you and everybody else. As you leave you light up a smoke, then return your newspaper for the 13 cent refund.

You then find someone to buy you a coffee at the mall, because you don't like advice from giant cockroaches and your too lazy to walk home and make some coffee. Later you go home and watch some movies on TCM, and finally you write the cockroach a letter telling him your fine and ask how he is doing.

P.S.
You and your readers should hot foot it over to Laurie's and then you should take your second theme song quiz, while your readers should take their first or second test. Laurie as you know can be found commenting in my 9/11 tribute.

No donuts yet today,
Tubby

12:52 PM  
Blogger brooksba said...

That's funny! Quite the experience. Why is it that hotel stays are only interesting when they are really bad?

Sorry it's been so long commenting. I think I'm back in business now!

1:40 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

Heh! Yeah, I think there might be a problem. I especially liked the "There is a sign in the hall that says, "Please respect the privacy of other guests and take your gunfights outside." Because gunfighters are soooo reasonable.

2:06 PM  
Blogger STAG said...

Hey....why you confuse ME with some cockroach!!! Must be the deely boppers I forgot I was wearing when I was in my "martian" costume at the Convenvtion.

Now, get out of here so I can finish your paper!!!!!!!!!!! (I don't get no respect! My mother even had to tie a pork chop around my neck so the dog would play with me!)

2:59 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

You always seem to have the funnest adventures at conference hotels! Maybe you should try to upgrade your hotel choices a bit... but then we would miss your funny antecdotes!

Funny post FW!

By the way... check out Cliif Morrow's post for Sunday... it's a funny one you would appreciate!

9:35 PM  
Blogger GreatBeefalo said...

Id charge that roach 13 cents and respectfully take him outside for the ensuing gunfight!

1:34 AM  
Blogger Page Turner said...

I completely understand what you are saying here. Recently I stayed at a hotel that was being renovated. It was owned by Chinese people. (This is where I should say "enuf said") We all now that the Chinese are very money concious so I'm sure they are cutting corners on the renovations. When I read your line about the towels being different shades of white I laughed because the hotel I stayed at had coloured towels...one set was a well used blue and the other was a well used purple. WEIRD!

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home