Flailing Away with Frustrated

My mind meanders mindlessly mercifully.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Frustrated, foolish FW flails fitfully, failing to find fruition from facetious fritterings.

Monday, September 11, 2006

A Special Birthday Gift

Yesterday I held a birthday party at my place for a most special person who brings so much happiness and insight into my life. He lives in a local facility that is run by the state and does have MR so I can't give a name or even initials for that matter. I will simply refer to him as my friend.

I started up this relationship a few years ago and when I left my employment at this facility, I petitioned and became his advocate. We enjoy spending time together and my friend always enjoys our trips to the canteen, or to visit other friends he has around campus. He has taught me so much in the past few years that I know I will have always been the greatest beneficiary of this friendship.

His excitement of getting to come to my apartment where he knew he would get presents, enjoy a sandwich and chocolate milk, and to end the party with a birthday cake that had his name on it was infectious. He loved his gifts of a red insulated mug, a red cap, red tape, picture frames, keys, key chain, and his favorite beverages (all items that are important to him). We had a great time, talking about his presents and his plans for the future. My favorite part was when we were about to cut the cake and he reminded us that we had failed to sing "the song," and upon the singing, how quickly he demonstrated his joy of having friends with him on his birthday.

I think back to yesterday and realize how special this birthday party was because the best gift given was the gift of his friendship. You can't wrap that up in a box or stuff it in a bag. You can, however, totally enjoy this gift in every smile and appreciative nod that is given to you and best of all, treasure the moment spent in celebrating his life as it has enriched your own.

Happy Birthday my friend.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, how sweet!
you are both lucky to have found each other and to have developed such a bond.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

A relationship such as yours is special and rare. You made your friend's birthday memorable.
"For it is in giving that we shall receive".

Peace and blessings,
Enid

10:24 AM  
Blogger Hopalong Cassidy said...

I don't know what MR is. I like your lifestyle displayed in the event you related and I am certain your friend had a good time at his birthday party.

"You can, however, totally enjoy this gift in every smile and appreciative nod that is given to you and best of all, treasure the moment spent in celebrating his life as it has enriched your own." Re: You are right, and may we all take the principle involved to heart.

P.S.
I enjoyed this post so much, you are as of now the chief critic of the board and club's movie statements.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Frustrated Writer said...

Oops my bad, MR=mental retardation.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Kuntry Konfession said...

i thunks, holidays are made so we can all celebrate each other! hoots to good friendship! and hoots to birthdays-the times to actually enjoy/give thunks to true friendships together. i'm the weirdo that goes out of my way on calling or writing to me good friends' parents-thanking them for giving birth to 'em, or not using contraceptions....heheheheh!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

As I have often said, "You are a good man..." Thanks for sharing this special occasion with us!

7:47 PM  
Blogger CarpeDM said...

I remember the post you wrote about him last year as well. I think one of the reasons why there is a phrase that says "it's better to give than to receive" is because you are getting a huge gift by seeing how happy he is.

You're a great guy, Mark. Just so you know.

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home