Flailing Away with Frustrated

My mind meanders mindlessly mercifully.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Frustrated, foolish FW flails fitfully, failing to find fruition from facetious fritterings.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Of old farm houses and assorted other stuff

Finally had a chance to walk through the old farm house. It is bigger than it looks like from the outside with three bedrooms, a large living room, combination dining room/kitchen, a mud room, one bathroom, and one huge walk in closet for the whole house. It is going to need a lot of work with the roof needed immediate attention along with the kitchen and bathroom. Priority list coming up...

  1. Fix Roof
  2. Fix Kitchen Ceiling
  3. Clean and bug bomb the whole house
  4. Fix bathroom, especially the shower/bath
  5. Replace flooring/I believe the original floor is hardwood, may strip down, restain and then use rugs... not sure yet.
  6. Fix a fence around the porch areas to keep cows off the porch.
  7. Kill yellowjackets.
  8. Eliminate raccoons
  9. Get barn cats
  10. Replace three windows.

Should be able to move in before the list is completed but it looks like if the uncle approves the move, I should be able to start renovation immediately and be able to move in by the end of August. I am excited!

Other assorted stuff;

Obviously one of the risks of obliterating your blog and then bringing it back is that you lose some of your readers/buddies. So many of you have returned and it is great to catch up with everyone. Some have chosen not to return and that is cool too. I'm sure time has a lot to do with it too as I know my time is limited and I don't get to read as much as I would like to which brings a bit of a lament on my part.

The heat is getting tough around the ol' US of A and I'm thinking it is time we incorporate the nap into our daily schedules. A two hour hiatus in the heat of the day where you lay still underneath a fan and catch a few zzzzs until the worst of the sun has passed. My grandparents did this their whole lives and it seemed to work for them as they still put in twelve to fourteen hour days. Maybe there should be mandatory swimming pools in our offices too where one could take a dip if they needed a chance to cool off quick. Either way, it would make the hot summer days bearable.

Hope everyone is having a great summer. Keep out of the heat!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the house sounds like it's gonna be quite the project. but fun. especially if a lot of it can be done on your own. I would love to buy an older house and fix it up real nice. sigh...maybe in a year or two.

it has really been hot and humid up here the past two weeks. the air conditioning has been on non-stop, and it's driving me nuts.

hope you have a good week!

6:15 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

So Cool!! Man, sounds like a great place!

Heat of the day..wuss..I am out running!

6:21 AM  
Blogger brooksba said...

The house sounds like a great project and a fun place to be. I'd probably put those bug bombs and getting rid of the yellowjackets a bit closer to the top of the list...

I'm just glad you're back in the blogosphere. I missed you.

11:38 AM  
Blogger GreatBeefalo said...

Id take the house just for the prospect of raccoon elimination. Sounds like a super deal to me! Fixer-uppers are always better--then you can sit back and say "ahhh" once youre down and it looks all swank.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

That is what I was thinking...where are all your old readers..?

6:10 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

You might want to consider killing the yellowjackets FIRST! I know you are chomping at the bit to start on those projects... hope everything works out so you can!

Keep cool... I think the zzzzzzzz and pool ideas are absolutely terrific! Can I come work for you? ;o)

6:14 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Frustrated Writer said...

amy - yup. lots of work but should be fun too. hot in Texas too and I know what you mean about the air conditioner!

bev - running in the heat of the day? crazy! as for readers, who knows?

beth - thanks! it is good to know you've been missed!

beef - the 'coons should be scared. Already have a light for the ol' S&W.

rho - you may be right about the wasps... as I have a phobia about them and enjoy destroying their little world. hmm, maybe a case of wasp spray is in order

7:37 AM  
Blogger -c said...

the farm house- what fun!

As for the yellowjackets, I recommend gigantic, horned, jalapeno-breath-breathing jackalopes. For the raccoons and cats..., the same.

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home